Saturday, June 14, 2014

If I customize my motorcycle helmet, will it still protect my head?

custom motorcycle helmet
If I customize my motorcycle helmet, will it still protect my head? 

That depends. (DOT), the department of transportation sets the standard, tests, and certifies helmet manufacturers as DOT. Placing a small sticker on the lower rear of the helmet is a common place to find this certification. For a more comprehensive list of global helmet standards, take a look at our helmet laws page.

Removing or painting over this certification will also remove the helmet certification and is fine-able within the US. To read more about DOT stickers and DOT requirements, I recommend checking out this article at DOT Motorcycle Helmet Label Requirements.

So unless you remove some of the built in safety features like the interior padding or modify the structure integrity of the helmet, customizing your helmet will not reduce its protective benefits.

No comments: